 Off-Topic / Geek / 2490
Re: Mixing ATA-33 and ATA-100 drives on single device
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Fri, 15 Dec 2000 11:10:13 GMT

"Fredrik Glöckner" wrote:

Is there any speed penalty when mixing ATA-33 and ATA-100 drives on
single IDE device?  The IDE controller is ATA-66.

I have only got two IDE drives, so I might as well put them on either
device as master.  But if there is no speed penalty whatsoever when both
are connected to the same device, I'll save some cables.  The less
cables, the better cooling of the drives...

Fredrik

There was a restriction when EIDE first introduced. When you connect two
IDE drives (one slow, one fast) to the same cable, both drives transfer
data at the same rate, which is the slower one. So techies always
suggested that connecting fast devices (like the lovely brand new HDD)
to one channel, and slower devices (CD-ROM, CD-R, back-up device, the
damn' old HDD) to other channel was much more appropriate. I don't know
what are the specific differences between original EIDE and newer
ATA33/66/100 versions of it but I think the same limitation may still be
exist.
Besides, having an extra cable inside your box is almost non issue from
the cooling point of view. At least, most computers today have 4-5 fans
inside (one in power supply, on connected to case, one or two on the
CPU, and one on display adapter) and I'm sure you have at least 3 of
them. Additionally, although I have a very crowded box (five cards,
CD-R, CD-ROM, back-up, two HDDs one with removable tray in a standard
minitower case) and I run it for relatively long periods of time (like
7-8  hours/day average, more than 24 hours uninterrupted sometimes) I
haven't encountered any high temperature problems yet (monitored by
BIOS/PC Probe software).

I hope this helps..:-)

Selçuk