 Off-Topic / Geek / 2239
Re: Strip surplus white space with Perl
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Sun, 29 Oct 2000 18:14:55 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.geek, Fredrik Glöckner writes:
Hi, I'm looking into a quick and simple way to strip off all surplus
white space from a string with Perl.  If two consecutive characters
are <SPACE> and <RET>, for example, it doesn't matter to me which one
is preserved and which one is chopped off.  Any suggestions?

First, if you want to trim any leading and trailing whitespace, this'll do it:

   $foo =~ s/^\s+//;
   $foo =~ s/\s+$//;

Then, if you need to preserve the first whitespace character and throw out
the rest:

   $foo =~ s/(\s)\s+/$1/g;

Or, if spaces (ASCII 32) are always OK in the output string, this is simpler
and marginally faster:

   $foo =~ s/\s{2,}/ /g;

Or, if you don't care about speed or memory usage, you could use split and
join:

   $foo = join " ", split /\s+/, $foo;

Yes, I am a Perl novice... :-)

If you'll be learning more Perl, check these out:

   http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/lperl2/
   http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/pperl3/

And if you'll be using it a lot, but not wanting to learn much, this might be
of help (it's also helpful if you want to learn more too):

   http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/cookbook/

And this is an absolutely outstanding book on regexen:

   http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/regex/

And there are at least two excellent non-O'Reilly Perl books too:

   http://www.effectiveperl.com/
   http://www.manning.com/Conway/

HTH,
--Todd