 Off-Topic / Geek / 1836
Re: shameless bragging
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Wed, 5 Jul 2000 17:57:07 GMT

Jamie Obrien <jamien@interworx.com.au> wrote:
An exam that has real world Applications? For Real! Most of my subjects at
Uni are so anti real world it's not funny.

You're in a computer science program, I assume. There's a reason for that --
"real world" changes so fast that a "practical" compsci degree would be
obsolete by the time you got it. However, the theoretical scientific
background is also important/interesting, and while that changes too, the
basics remain relevant.

A CS degree isn't necessarily very useful for a sysadmin job. But then, it
doesn't hurt either.

What type of prep do you need for something like that, other than an
intimate knowledge of the Linux?

Real-world experience is the best -- that's the prep I have. There's a lot
of good Linux resources available. Check out
<http://www.bu.edu/computing/linux/faq.html#resources> for a list of things
I think are especially good.

--
Matthew Miller                     --->                 mattdm@mattdm.org