 Off-Topic / Geek / 160
159  |  161
Subject:
"Well-Formed" LDraw (Was: regular expressions for DAT file subpart lines)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek, lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Wed, 23 Jun 1999 22:09:53 GMT

Steve Bliss wrote:
Oops, I forgot a few other odd things.  I *think* your expression allows
these, but I'm not sure:
.1
Nope, won't take a fraction w/o the integer part; gotta fix that

-.1
Nope, same reason as above

0.
Nope, won't take a fraction w/o the fraction part, gotta fix that

-0.
Nope, same reason as above

001
Yep!  Woo-Hoo!!!  :-,

1E
Nope, I can't even figure out what this is supposed to be without the
mantissa!  Is it just 1?

The hard part about using a single regular expression to detect scientific
notation is that it might allow things like "+.E." to represent a number,
which any respectable atoi() would choke on.  I gotta think about this some
more, see if it's even worth my time at the moment...

BTW, the color-code can be in scientific notation.  The line-type can't, at
least, it can't in LDLite.  I'm betting LDraw would recognize 1E0 as a
valid line-type.

Hmmm...  But LEdit doesn't output scientific notation in these areas.  I'm
inclined to be more liberal than restrictive, but some of these cases don't
make any sense; i.e. fractional colors.

What about line-breaks?  LDraw allows those in the middle of the line.  And
anything extra after the filename is ignored, I think.  At least, on
line-types 2 through 5, anything after the last parameter and before a line
break is ignored.

Arg.  Broken lines would obviate a line-based parser.  Pascal parsers tend
to be character-based, while Perl makes it much easier to write line-based
parsers.

I wonder if we should start to differentiate between "valid" and
"well-formed" LDraw files, a la XML...?

Cheers,
- jsproat

Darth Sideous the wicked ruled his world -- Sidious spoke in class today