 Off-Topic / Geek / 155
Re: Getting a job - advice from the experts (was: Re: What happened?)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate, lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Wed, 23 Jun 1999 17:20:26 GMT

Christopher L. Weeks <c576653@cclabs.missouri.edu> wrote:
I'll have to respond to more of this later, especially the
situation-specific stuff.  Maybe privately since I would assume it
might bore others.

networking for staff/faculty (about 3,000 students in the dorms and
about 6,000 dial-up accounts).

Do you provide that free to everyone who wants it?  I'm surprised your
numbers are so low.  I think we must have a higher ratio of students
with PCs or you have a better system of competitors.  You're in a big
city right?  I don't actually know what our dial-up numbers are, but I
am under the impression that it's higher.

No, dial-up service is not free, although connecting to the network on
campus "is".  Dial-up accounts are $38 per fall/spring for students,
$55 for staff/faculty.  Summer is $22 for everyone.  Unless you want
128k ISDN, which is $22 more per semester for the big semesters, less
for summer.  Still, our rates work out to around $8 per month for
students, $11 per month for staff.

Not sure why the numbers are so low on that front - although I talk to
people each week who just plain don't know we offer the service, which
is something that out to be easy to correct.  Ought to be.

Dorm network usage has grown considerably since we wired the dorms, a
project that was just completed over the last year.  I've heard we
have something like 8k students in the dorms, but I honestly don't
know what percentage of them even have computers, so we might be close
to the max or far away.

Not sure what our ratio of students with PCs is, but yeah, we are in a
large city.  Nobody can really compete with us price-wise on internet
access, and nobody would try to compete with the level of service we
offer.

It would seem that your school does things in a much more efficient
fashion than mine.  My department has nothing to do with the student
computer labs, that's another department in our division, and typical
politics crap makes that real fun to deal with.

We also provide a smattering of other general helpdesk-type support
(limited application support, etc, no real computer hardware support).

We do both in fair depth, but charge (to little) for hardware repair.

Wow, interesting.

Including all those folks and our student staff, I think we're over 400.
(I wonder if we do more, or just do it less efficiently than y'all.)

You couldn't possibly be less efficient than our division in general.
I say that with more than a little bitterness since I've seen my
full-time staff drop from 6 to 5 and my student worker pool drop in
half since I took over, while our customer base has increased and
we're actually offering more services.  I see just the opposite going
on elsewhere.

Which is one reason why I doubt they'll let me out of my office.  I've
proven I can do more with less, whereas other leaders keep doing less
with more.

If you happen to want to move to Missouri and be underpaid there,
they'll be hiring to replace me later this Summer. ;-)

Sorry, I swore that after spending the worst 8 weeks of my life in
Fort Lost in the Woods I would never spend more than a quick trip in
Missouri.  And I'm underpaid here already.  For now.  :)

--
Lego Shop at Home: 800-835-4386 (USA) / 800-267-5346 (Canada)
www.lugnet.com/news/ - A great new resource for LEGO fans worldwide