 Off-Topic / Geek / 1209
Re: DSL newbie
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Tue, 29 Feb 2000 03:57:27 GMT

On Tue, 29 Feb 2000 00:51:49 GMT, Sproaticus <jsproat@io.com> wrote:

1.  Where to find good, techy articles on DSL?

Hrmmm - ones that were written by people who obviously know what
they're talking about?  Not sure, haven't read many.  :)  You could
check Cnet, Zdnet, and the like for comparisons between DSL and Cable.

2.  How fast is it?

Depends on how far you are from the CO, mostly.  Also on how fast your
company wants it to be.  I have a friend who reguarly gets about
1.25+mb, which isn't too shabby.  I've heard of other larger markets
limiting to 256/384/etc tho.

3.  With my home computer being outside the firewall, what do I need to do to
become a security expert on Linux?

Whoa, can't help you there.  I've read a few chapters in Hacking
Exposed and it seems good, but I'm still a Linux/security newbie.

4.  How can I set up my Linux box as an IP gateway between the real world and
the network inside my house (and will DHCP cut it or do I need a static IP /
IP pool)?

IP Masquerading.  There's a how-to.  Haven't done it yet (don't really
need to since I have my own router and 5 ip's, but I'd like to play
with it) but I just skimmed through the section in a book I bought a
couple weeks ago, _Linux Network Servers 24Seven_ and it seemed pretty
straightforward.

--
Tired of waiting for LEGO Direct? Bulk Parts Sales NOW!
http://www.guarded-inn.com/lego/sales/parts.html