 Off-Topic / Geek / 1153
Re: Forte Agent problem
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Sun, 6 Feb 2000 08:33:20 GMT

On Fri, 4 Feb 2000 20:47:04 GMT, Steve Bliss
<blisses@worldnet.att.net> wrote:

Hmm.  I just noticed that Agent is dropping messages unexpectedly.  For example,
I posted message <http://www.lugnet.com/off-topic/geek/?n=1132> yesterday.
There are now ~12 messages in that thread.  As I was reading through messages
today, I saw there were 5 or 6 messages in the thread, unread.  But the initial
posting was missing.  I thought that was odd, so I refreshed (by clicking the
"download new headers" button, and I've got Agent set to automatically retrieve
messages for all new headers).  The final result of that was that all but *one*
of the messages went away.  These were *unread* messages.  I jumped into the web
interface, scanned through the thread, and replied to a message or two.  But I
only show 2 of them in Agent.

Lately, I've been noticing more follow-ups to messages that aren't downloaded,
in various lugnet groups, but I haven't noticed anything *this* blatent.

I've got the Purge options set to never purge unread messages, and only purge
read messages after 60 days.

Anyone have any suggestions?  I could start over, with new data files, but I'd
hate to lose all those messages from the second LUGNET beta-test phase.

Steve
Steve,
I am not a power user but I see you are still using 1.6, upgrade to
1.7.  1.6 had a bunch of bugs in it that were apparently taken care of
in 1.7(and some were database bugs :^(.   I, at least have not noticed
any problems  with 1.7 and Lugnet, but I took the plunge with 1.7 soon
after it was released figuring I'd only lose the canceled messages if
I had to restart.  Also depending upon your storage options you could
make a archive copy of your Lugnet Agent installation to keep the old
posts then restart a fresh copy and start from there, if you use a
cd-r for such , just remember you will not be able to run agent from
the cd-r, it needs write access to actually run.  The work around is
copy back to a write drive then run it.

HTH, Mike
(posted and emailed)
All other themes are just spare parts for Castle!