 Off-Topic / Fun / 9970
Re: Geek Speak?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Wed, 13 Nov 2002 03:20:49 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.fun, Allan Bedford writes:
In lugnet.off-topic.fun, Bruce Schlickbernd writes:
In lugnet.off-topic.fun, Allan Bedford writes:

sure if it's at all related, but the one that makes my neck hairs
bristle every time I hear it is, "my bad".  I don't know what it's short
for, if anything, or what exactly it means, but it bothers me for some
reason.  :)

Allan B.

My mistake, my error, my bad judgment, mea culpa, oops, excuse me.

More or less as I had figured.  But I can't help wondering... why don't
people just use those perfectly good expressions?  :)

Because every generation wants to communicate in it's own terms.  It always
has been, and it always will.  Besides, "My bad" is so much cooler than any
of the others.  Anything is better than my generation's, "We need a
meaningful dialogue."  :-)

Sending an email that says, "oops, my mistake" just seems so much more real
than saying, "my bad."

"More real"?  What the heck is that?  Do you mean more accurate, clearer,
less obtuse, more heartfelt, what?
:-)

  The second one almost seems detached, as though by
using this not so genuine expression, you aren't nearly as remorseful as you
may seem.

It doesn't seem to carry as much of an onerus admission of unforgivable
guilt so it is easier to apologize (which seems to me a good thing).

Well, there I go over-analyzing again.  My bad.

See, you got it!

-->Bruce<--