 Off-Topic / Fun / 9575
Re: One nation, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Thu, 11 Jul 2002 00:16:14 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.fun, Lindsay Frederick Braun writes:
In lugnet.off-topic.fun, Pedro Silva writes:
In lugnet.off-topic.fun, James Brown writes:

My wife got her degree in poly-sci - I gotta hear it all the time (but does
she know what Chiarascurro is, or Trompe L'oiel?

Let's see... Chiarascurro is a dog-sized rodent native to South America,

No, that's a Chihuahua.  Or is that the rodent-sized dog?  I always get
those mixed up.

If you meant a dog-sized rodent, then it's a Capivara (to be found in
Brazilian Pantanal).

  In English, we call it a capybara, but I like the Iberian spelling
  better.  The really nasty ones are apparently nutrias--they're smaller
  but meaner by far.  Sort of like little seals swimming around in the
  swamp, except they're ratty.

I did not know these ones. The capivara I knew because of a brazilian soap,
which was set in the Pantanal region and became famous for showing the
fantastic wildlife to be found there (much more spectacular than in
Amazonia, IMHO).
They look very similar, though - apart from te fur tone, size and tail, they
are pretty much the same (humongous) rat :-)

Pedro
(who would not invest his money in a pest control business anywhere near
South American swamps...)