 Off-Topic / Fun / 90
Re: Best Place to get Linux
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Wed, 7 Oct 1998 12:42:12 GMT

Matt Marshall <Matt@rapturesoft.hypermart.net> wrote:
What's the best dist of linux and where can I get it. I'm finally going to
set up a linux box. I just need to find a place to set the computer up. Plus
good debate topic, what's better X-windows, or plain command line, and if
it's X-windows what's the best desktop thing

Linux distributions are a religious issue. But right now, I'd say that Red
Hat Linux is a good pick. It's easy to install, and perhaps more
importantly, if you forget to install something you find later you want, or
decide you want to remove some stuff, it's simple. Also, last time I checked
at least, they do a better job than anyone else at conforming to the FSSTND
-- config files go in /etc, _nothing_ that you need to modify goes in /usr,
and so on.

Plus, they have a lot of GUI tools for system configuration, which makes
things easier for a new user.

And, also, Red Hat is a great company -- they give a lot back to the Linux
community.