 Off-Topic / Fun / 8474
Re: Leonids 2001.... Rain in Tulsa :-(
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Sun, 18 Nov 2001 18:31:56 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.fun, Maggie Cambron writes:
In lugnet.off-topic.fun, Jon Palmer writes:
Me again.  Clouds clouds clouds.  I decided to go for a walk at about 3:30
to see if I could find some gaps in the cloud cover.  Around 4:00 I got my
first chance.  Wow.  I was looking through this tiny window to the sky and I
saw 3 at the same time.  Then 4 and 5.

I was looking in the general area of Jupiter, and Orion.
Another good gap came up and I saw about 25 more in 10 minutes.  Not bad
considering the conditions here.  I can only imagine what it must look like
in a clear sky.

Regardless, I'm happy.  I can't believe I even saw one.  Much less the 32 I
saw.  ( I also saw a few THROUGH the clouds. There were two very bright
flashes in my periphiral-- probably some nice fireballs)

If anyone else has any reports (near or far) I'd love to hear them!
I'll be reporting in as the night goes on.

I live in Northern California in the hills to the west of Interstate 80 between
San Francisco and Sacramento.  We saw several dozen even though it was partly
cloudy here too and we didn't stay out that long.  And although I'd heard on
news reports that they'd be primarily in the Eastern sky, the ones we saw
seemed to be all over-- a good thing because we live on the western slope of a
small mountain and can't even see the eastern horizon.

I agree, it was worthwhile viewing-- and I only feel slightly guilty we didn't
get the kids up to see them too.

Maggie C.

Bah! I get up early and what do I see?  Clouds! Rain and more clouds, but I
must say that for his time of the early morning it is rather 'bright' out
there, even with the thickly covered clouds.  I don't many of us Aussies
would be able to see this since 'normal' storms and rain have taken over at
the moment.

Mel... Brisbane, Australia