 Off-Topic / Fun / 7626
7625  |  7627
Subject:
Monkey and pulley test -what's the answer to this?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Sat, 30 Jun 2001 11:34:02 GMT

The following was posted to a non-LEGO message board, and I seem to recall
that this is one of those problems that should be simpler than it looks -
can anyone make heads or tails out of the heap of arguments thrown into that
paragraph below my .sig??

Please bear in mind that I don't have the answer as the original poster
never gave one, so I'm left with searching for answers ...

--
Cheers ...

Geoffrey Hyde

Monkey and Pulley test:

A piece of rope weighs four ounces per foot. It is passed over a pulley, and
on one end is suspended a weight, and on the other end a monkey. The whole
system is in equilibrium. The weight of the monkey in pounds is equal to the
age of the monkey's mother in years. The age of the monkey's mother added to
the age of the monkey is four years. The monkey's mother is twice as old as
the monkey was when the monkey's mother was half as old as the monkey will
be when the monkey is three times as old as the monkey's mother was when the
monkey's mother was three times as old as the monkey. The weight of the rope
or the weight at the end is half again as much as the difference between the
weight of the weight and the weight of the weight plus the weight of the
monkey. How long is the rope? Assuming the pulley to be negligibly small,
what fractional part of the rope is on the same side of the pulley as the
monkey when the system is at rest?