 Off-Topic / Fun / 7393
7392  |  7394
Subject:
"whinge" ?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Wed, 13 Jun 2001 16:52:09 GMT

A few posts recently have had the word "whinge" in them, which I took
contextually to be a misspelling of "whine."

Today I took a moment to look them up on dictionary.com, and I was suprised
to find out that "whinge" is in fact, a word unto itself.

whinge (hwnj, wnj)
intr.v. Chiefly British whinged, whing·ing, whing·es

To complain or protest, especially in an annoying or persistent manner.

"Whine", of course, has a similar meaning:

whine (hwn, wn)
v. whined, whin·ing, whines
v. intr.
1.    To utter a plaintive, high-pitched, protracted sound, as in pain,
fear, supplication, or complaint.

Another one of those regionalisms from across the pond. :^)

~Grand Admiral Muffin Head
--
Mark's Lego(R) Creations
http://www.nwlink.com/~sandlin/lego