 Off-Topic / Fun / 6827 (-5)
  Re: NOT the Queen's English (was re: Lugnet Guide a lot less convenient today)

(...) Yes on both counts! Here's one that was pointed out to me long ago by a Ph.D. in biology: "dissect" does NOT rhyme with "bisect". The "dis-" has the same short i as in the word "discord". And this makes sense when you think of the meaning of (...) (24 years ago, 8-Mar-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  Re: NOT the Queen's English (was re: Lugnet Guide a lot less convenient today)

(...) Okay, they have a good argument, but I must say that I've heard the phrase uttered by a lot of people on whom (IMHO) sarcasm is wasted anyway, so that explanation is a bit of a stretch for me. Hey, and remember that song from long ago "Too (...) (24 years ago, 8-Mar-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  Re: NOT the Queen's English (was re: Lugnet Guide a lot less convenient today)

(...) Yes, you got it! Actually I had never heard of Marmite except on Lugnet, but ever since the Men At Work song I have been quite curious about Vegemite-- I even asked my mother-in-law once if she would pick me up some when she went to Australia, (...) (24 years ago, 8-Mar-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  Re: NOT the Queen's English (was re: Lugnet Guide a lot less convenient today)

(...) Check out what The American Heritage® Book of English Usage, A Practical and Authoritative Guide to Contemporary English has to say about this subject: (URL) Main main@appstate.edu (24 years ago, 8-Mar-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  Re: NOT the Queen's English (was re: Lugnet Guide a lot less convenient today)

(...) Say on, sister! A particular gripe for me is "irregardless," which for some reason sees a lot of use in my office. Further, as I've mentioned before, I am thoroughly vexed by "nukuler" in place of "nuclear." I'm not sufficiently pedantic to (...) (24 years ago, 8-Mar-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, lugnet.off-topic.fun)

Redisplay Messages:  All | Compact