 Off-Topic / Fun / 6708
6707  |  6709
Subject:
Interesting optical effect in auction picture
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Tue, 27 Feb 2001 03:35:58 GMT

I was scanning through eBay and noticed a rather interesting optical effect in
the picture for this auction:

http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=563853583

On my screen at home with 1600x1200 resolution, while scrolling in Netscape
with a mouse with a scroll wheel, I noticed that the image scrolls almost
exactly one row of the red gears each click of the wheel. Since the gears are
all at various angles, the effect is that they appear to rotate as the image is
scrolled.

Of course with your resolution, scroll increment, and other setup parameters,
you may not find the same effect, but I thought it was kind of cool...

Frank