 Off-Topic / Fun / 6525
Re: Guiness World Records
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Wed, 31 Jan 2001 04:20:02 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.fun, Christopher Tracey writes:
Has anyone here ever been involved in an attempt to break (or produce) a world record?  If so could you offer any advice?

-chris

Ask the PNLTCers. They set one big one and a lot of smaller ones that might
not necessarily get published. (try reading trains.org or org.pnltc for
starters, I think)

Can you be more specific on what sort of advice you seek? The guinness site
itself has excellent advice.

The advice depends on where you are in the process. "Considering a run and
trying to decide which record" is way different than "Already talked to
Guinness and they approved of my plans and verification mechanisms, I'm
worried about crowd control at the event".

Here's some general advice if you're early in the process.

Pick a record that is safe, interesting, and verifiable. Make sure it's one
that other groups might want to top at some point. If it's a new record,
consult Guinness before investing any significant effort. Even if it isn't,
maybe. Make reasonably sure that no one else is trying to top it at the moment.

I was involved in a record run at the "worlds tallest snowman" and we failed
because we didn't scout the competition and didn't understand what it would
take to secure the record (local PR isn't it, it take Guinness involvement)...

++lar