 Off-Topic / Fun / 6431
Re: Tractor beam?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Fri, 5 Jan 2001 10:00:33 GMT

Larry Pieniazek wrote:

In lugnet.off-topic.geek, Jason Maxwell writes:
In lugnet.off-topic.geek, Larry Pieniazek writes:
BTW: It's SF or Science Fiction... scifi is the term used by mundanes. :-)
You're not one of *those*, are you?

OK, I've got to ask, what's the big deal about this?  I'm harldy a scifi
mundane but I find it easier to refer to Science Fiction as scifi (because
it's shorter) than SF (because everyone looks at you and asks what SF
means).  The whole SF/scifi/fantasy/science fiction debate seems to be a
debate for the sake of having something to argue about.

What's fantasy got to do with it? Just because bookstores misfile David
Eddings in the SF section doesn't make fantasy science fiction.

As for using SF vs. scifi, it's simple. It's an insider vs. outsider thing,
if you call it scifi, you're not "in", you're a mundane. For instance, ever

I call it as "bilimkurgu" almost always since there is no "BK" or
"bilkur" in my own language..:-)

been to a con? It's just like LEGO(tm) vs. Legos... if you call the brick
Legos, you're not a TruFan.

Again, almost always, I call "the brick" as "legolar(1)" which exactly
is legos, when translated. Anyone here that *really* dare enough to call
me not a true fan?..:-)

Hoped that cleared it up for you. :-)

Maybe another example, say AFOL vs. TFPwL(2), could be more appropriate,
since the former makes you in, and the latter makes you perfectly
NL...:-)

Selçuk

(1) Yes, short form of your name(3) is same the "-s" in english.
(actually it is "-ler" or "-lar", since we have a "appropriate sound"
rule in turkish)

(2) Those Freaks Playing with Lego

(3) Larry is already a pretty short name, isn't it?..:-)