 Off-Topic / Fun / 6386
Re: Tractor beam?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Fri, 29 Dec 2000 04:13:44 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.fun, Jason Maxwell writes:
In lugnet.off-topic.geek, Larry Pieniazek writes:
As for using SF vs. scifi, it's simple. It's an insider vs. outsider thing,
if you call it scifi, you're not "in", you're a mundane. For instance, ever
been to a con? It's just like LEGO(tm) vs. Legos... if you call the brick
Legos, you're not a TruFan.

So it's just a snob thing.  8-)

BTW, I haven't been to a SF con, but I have been to a few Trek cons, and I
do call them LEGO.

The rule I always understood was that a Trek con was a SciFi con and an SF Con
was something like Worldcon or Boskone or any of a huge number of cons
generally put on by fans and generally concentrating on literary subjects (with
a generous dose of media [hey, gotta have those movie and video rooms running
all night] and gaming).

Frank
(who attended his first SF con in over 10 years this fall)