 Off-Topic / Fun / 5778
Re: eBay Prank - Please Help
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Wed, 30 Aug 2000 17:43:02 GMT

Hey Doug,

Did your mustard selling friend ever catch on to your prank?  (Like, did he wonder
why there were so many hits on his auction even though the counter wasn't installed
until over a day after the auction began?)  Has he done anything (yet) to
retaliate?

Maggie-- who prefers to see loose ends tied up-- C.

Doug Finney wrote:

Do you have a PayPal account, a little time to kill and a creative humorous
streak?

What's up? In short, someone I know, after a discussion about the assortment
of junk listed on eBay, decided to try selling a mustard packet he picked up
at a baseball game last week. I'd like to find someone to pose as a "mustard
collector" to e-mail him with silly questions about the packet and bid on it.
If you win (don't go over $2, please!) and finalize the transaction I'll
reimburse you whatever bid amount and postage fees you pay him.

See the listing yourself at:
http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=399045013

If this sounds like fun, please drop me a line.

A bit more background: I'm a contributor for a humor mailing list (see
http://www.topfive.com ), as is the mustard seller. The packet has already
received one bid but I'm pretty sure it's from another contributor. What
better way to freak him out, I figure, than to have a "serious" bidder show up?

He's pushing the baseball angle - he got it at a NY Mets game so it's listed
under Sports Memorabilia (haha!)  The packet was manufactured by a NY company
as well so this would probably work best if you're not very close to that
area. I'm imagining questions like "Is the packet unopened?" and "What does it
look like?" but also maybe a rambling message or two about your "hobby" -
other mustards you've already collected, maybe how you started out collecting
all condiment packets but decided to focus on mustard, goofy stuff like that,
hopefully without crossing the line into obviously not serious.

Having a PayPal account it not technically required but he accepts it and I
can reimburse you with it so that would really cut down on extraneous postage
costs.

So hey, anybody interested?

Doug