 Off-Topic / Fun / 5630
Re: Football sets!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Sat, 22 Jul 2000 12:08:13 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.fun, Dan Simonson writes:
But then you should ask, "Why?"  Especially if we already have the real • deal.
I am reminded of an evolution chart showing the ape in 3-point football • stance
and then progressing to the upright human soccer player.  ;-)

!!!!! I am shocked! I hope you are kidding, but if not... Surely you know • that
football is actually an evolutionary step up from soccer. Soccer begat rugby,
which begat football. And football is far more complex and mentally • challenging
than soccer. I would say that any starting pro quarterback (except maybe Gus
Frerotte) is more intelligent than 90% of athletes in all other sports.
-Marc "outraged left tackle" Nelson Jr.

Actually (I happen to be an American), I was just in Australia and saw a rugby
game on TV, and American football is more premitive because it is more
violent. In rugby the person is just tackled, and then the players line up and
play. Soccer contains no violence so basically it goes American football,
rugby, soccer.

Dan

I was referring to the historical evolution of football from soccer, and the
increasing complexity from soccer to rugby to football. I don't think something
is more primitive just because it is more violent. That would make an M-1 tank
more primitive than a board with a nail in it. The reasons football is more
violent than rugby are that football players are bigger and faster, plus they
wear pads and helmets. I actually really like rugby (soccer is another story).

-Marc