 Off-Topic / Fun / 5322
Re: Plural?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Fri, 9 Jun 2000 16:13:14 GMT

Matthew Miller wrote:
Maggie Cambron <mcambron@pacbell.net> wrote:
To me the more interesting question is why (and when to) use the plural form?
Like "fish" and "fishes".  I believe we use the latter when we are refer to
different species of fish, but this is just a guess.  As for "monies", maybe
legalese?
"The monies of various countries."

Right, like "the peoples of various countries", "people" == "a single group"
where "peoples" = "a bunch of groups".

A plural of a plural?  Sounds kinda hypercubish to me.  ;-)

Cheers,
- jsproat

There are just SO MANY reasons to run for my life,
  I'm having trouble settling on just one!
   - Torg