 Off-Topic / Fun / 5310
Re: vegetarians (was Re: Why is AIDS such a big deal?)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Mon, 5 Jun 2000 23:59:52 GMT

Christopher Weeks wrote:
Oh, I wonder how I should have written that.  I meant to be saying
flesh-derivatives (like gelatin), not animal-derivatives.  I
certainly agree that dairy is an animal derivative.

Hmmm. I just call everything I can't eat 'cow' (j/k).  Flesh-derivative
works for me.

Yeah, I've been to DC a few times and there are just a ton of great places to
eat.  Thanks for the list, I've printed it and will take it with.  But I figure
I'll be going to dine with other LUGnuts, and short of a steakhouse I can
probably find something most places.

WAMALUG had a dinner meeting at Harmony Cafe in Georgetown.  Even the
picky eaters were happy with the meal.  It's one of my favorite places
to eat here.

Raw, meaning uncooked, or meaning unprocessed?

uncooked or unprocessed depending on the food.  I tried it for a
couple weeks but it was too difficult to keep up with it.  i also
missed the variety you can get with processed things.  I'm mainly
interested in trying that diet for extended hiking trips.

Do you worry about stuff like whether the sugar you buy has been filtered
through charred bones?

My wife and I generally use Florida Crystals brand sugar.  It's
partially processed, not as molassas tasting as turbindo(sp?) sugar.
They are also converting to total organic production methods which
is good since I believe it's grown in Florida near the already damaged
Everglades.  I don't generally worry about the bone sugar issue when
I eat out- I do try to avoid it but it's a minor point in the big
picture.

How do you feel about it?

-Chris

ps. moved this away from .debate to .fun, i just felt too dogmatic
talking about this in .debate.