 Off-Topic / Fun / 4967
Re: ACK! Bad April Fool's Joke
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Thu, 6 Apr 2000 16:13:21 GMT

In lugnet.starwars, Lindsay Frederick Braun writes:

Just an aside, FUT -> .o-t.fun

I saw the E! site today, on a student's computer, after she gasped and
went "no way."  She was showing it around, so I glanced, and the very
professional header in a little side window--hidden in a very authentic
looking manner--was "Lucasfilm signs Leo:  DiCaprio to Star in Episode
II."  IIRC, it even had an image of Leo's face on a Tatooine-actor body
that looked sort of like his own, so you couldn't quite tell.  When the
horrified woman finally clicked on the darn thing, you get an ugly
"Llama segment of the Holy Grail Credits"-like announcement of "April
Fool!"

Maybe a month ago I was watching our local Fox news, and they previewed one of
the night's entertainment segments with the news that DiCaprio had been chosen
to play Anakin by Lucas.  Outraged, distraught, morose, I immediately called two
friends and shared with them the shocking news.  I had to wait a full hour until
they showed the segment at the end of the news, but when they finally did, they
were completely ambiguous about who or what Lucas had actually decided.  They
said that 500+ actors have applied for the job, and that DiCaprio had visited
Skywalker Ranch, but he was only one of the people being considered.  I was a
bit upset and relieved on several levels:

Upset: That the previewing news segment had basically lied - the sound-bite had
explicitly said that he would be The Man, while the news report said nothing to
that effect.

Upset: That I had been hasty in rushing out to call friends about it, and then
having to basically say "False Alarm."

Relieved: That DiCaprio doesn't have the job.

Upset:That he may still get it.

I have nothing against the lad personally; I think that he does have real acting
ability, but he just has too much of a pretty-boy association in my mind.
However, I'm afraid that Lucas might just hire him to try to attract the "Teen,
"Bop," and "Seventeen" readers demographic group.

(Sigh) Has it come to this?