 Off-Topic / Fun / 4899
Re: Making Lego airborne
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Sat, 25 Mar 2000 04:36:25 GMT

Todd Lehman wrote:

In lugnet.robotics, Jason S. Mantor writes:
A balloon-based airship having propulsion and steering systems.

A LEGO example is set #5956 Air Zeppelin:

Non-LEGO examples are the Hindenburg, the Good Year Blimp, and the airship
that Drs. Henry & Indiana Jones escaped from via biplane in the third movie.

Nope !  Close though : ) Dirigibles are airships with rigid frames.
Zeppelins are dirigibles but Blimps are not rigid and are merely ballons
with gondolas hanging off them

...and engines and directional control surfaces.  That's a dirigible; see below.
:)  Otherwise it's a barrage balloon of the variety used near the front in WWI--no
power, but a gondola for observers and a machine gun or two.  If you've played "Red
Baron" you've been out balloon-busting.  ;)

Wow, dang!  Thanks for the correction!  So, what then was the airship in the
3rd IJ movie?  I don't have it on viddy and unfortunately it hasn't been
burned into my brain yet like the 1st IJ movie.

I'm pretty close to 100% sure the IJ3 ship was a rigid airship ("Zeppelin")--the
only passenger sorts were rigid, because they could be made larger than non-rigid
airships.  _Hindenburg_ and _Graf Zeppelin_ (the sister that didn't burn) were both
rigid.

By the way, the word "blimp" comes from the airship types in US English:  "Type
A-rigid" and "Type B-limp."  As far as our definition controversy, a dirigible is
*any* self-propelled lighter-than-air craft with directional control surfaces; that
loads it in favour of rigid airships but doesn't rule out blimps.  The Goodyear
Blimp, for example, is most certainly a dirigible, even though it isn't rigid.

best

Lindsay