 Off-Topic / Fun / 489
Re: Top ten useless Lego pieces (and how to use them...)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Wed, 16 Dec 1998 20:03:56 GMT

Larry Pieniazek writes:
Duane Hess wrote:

OK Point well taken.  I was speaking strictly from the instance where the
hinges are used in pairs.  I can see not including the mating hinge half
when using it with other elements, but my opinion remains unchanged when
you have a pair of hinges with different colored halves.  It would be nice
if I were able to make an all white hinge and an all blue hinge, instead
of two blue and white hinges.

Ah, NOW i get it. Is this it? "Suppose you have a model that for
artistic reasons
should have blue white hinges. Fine. Make one blue end the 2 end and the
other blue end the 3 end, when possible. Ditto for white Then the
builder later has one complete all white hinge and one complete all blue
hinge..."

Correctamundo

The reason I bet TLG doesn't do this relates to number of different
parts. Each part is in a different cassette. you now have 4 cassettes
that have to be present during part insertion into bags where doing it
the other way you only have 2 cassettes... two less steps in the mfg
process.

I can see their point in the manufacturing/packaging processes.  With their
volume though, the added costs should be minimal.  Think about the variety
of parts in many of their sets.  I could argue this point for quite a while
without tiring.  However, I won't hold my breath on this point - I'd be dead
before I ever saw the idea implemented.

- This is a family newsgroup, thanks.