 Off-Topic / Fun / 4428
Re: age of lugnuts
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun, lugnet.people
Date:
Mon, 14 Feb 2000 00:44:03 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.fun, Jonathan McKay writes:
I was just wondering how old lugnuts are.

I wonder that myself -- Quite a bit!  :)  It's difficult if not impossible
to know the ages of everyone out there (web users, casual news users, etc.)
but one thing we know for sure is that the average age of lifetime members
is 30.3 at this point.  (I'll give some more detailed histograms later.)

On the other hand, if you look at the average age of all the people who have
filled out the Fibblesnork LEGO Survey,

   http://www.lugnet.com/fibblesnork/lego/guide/survey/

the average age there is something like approximately 16 or 17 years old,
with *quite* a few people younger than that.

I myself am twelve but I get the impression most of the lugnet readers are
older than that.

I don't know about all of the readers, but ya I think most of the writers
(posters) are a noticably older, on average.  Yet, over the past 6 months it
seems that the number of people under the age of ~16 has been on the rise
more than any other noticable demographic segment.

Jonathan, do you feel comfortable here?  Made any net friends?  Or is this
place pretty lonely for the younger crowd?

Originally, when the LUGNET newsgroups went up in 1998, a concentrated effort
was made to attract adults much more than teens or children -- for a various
number of reasons.  It's always been part of the LUGNET Plan, of course, to
appeal to audiences of all ages, gradually moving toward the younger range
over time as the culture and customs of the community get settled in.

Do you think the younger crowd here might benefit from a kids-specific group?
Part of the reason that the lugnet.people group was created as a top-level
group is to allow for future expansion possibilities, for example:

   lugnet.people.kids
   lugnet.people.teens
   lugnet.people.parents
   etc.

I can even imagine (someday) "moral support groups" for NLSOs of AFOLs -- and
vice-versa -- or for JFOLs with NLPs.

Any thoughts are welcome!

--Todd

[followups to lugnet.people]