 Off-Topic / Fun / 426
Re: A stupid DOS question.....
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Wed, 9 Dec 1998 22:28:33 GMT

Lesse: RH 5.1 (btw, 5.2 is out now.): 577 Megs.
Suse 5.2:: 624 megs
Slackware 3.5:  645 megs...

Ok, I had a look. The directory named "Suse" weighs
in at 448MB, with the total space used on the CD
being 648MB. How much is actually all Suse and the
rest DOS/Win format support files I don't know. 'Tis
5.2, kernel 2.0.34. Does this seem close enough to a
full install, or shall I assume not?

The redhat cd weighs in at .... can't find it at the
moment. I know I have 3 or 4 cd's with it on. How much
though......

Anyway, some of the software that has arrived recently....
Interbase 4, Apache, GIMP, PHP, Python, SAMBA, SIAG
office, and a bunch of others. I haven't a clue what
any of these are, but then the reputation of the
magazine as it is, these are probably the best available
packages for whatever they do. The magazine I purchased
today has Netscape 4.5 for Linux, too.

The magazine in question is PC Plus, by Future Publishing.
They started a bit of a revolution here, not only including
the usual big internet downloads, but more recently *full*
unrestricted copies of major software packages. The only thing
being that they are the grandfather versions of the currently
available packages....(e.g. you receive release 3 when they
are on release 4). Have had some heavyweight programs, too.
Virtually everything Borland has ever done...recently had Delphi
2. With regards to licensing on some of the programming apps, though,
is that distribution is not permitted. One must buy the full app
should one wish to sell or give away. That is the *only*
restriction. Manuals are usually in the form of *.pdf files.....

Major releases such as IE4, etc. I have only needed to wait a couple
of weeks, rather than spending a fortune on 'phone bills and probably
2 weeks downloading the things. The current philosophy of PC publications
is such that consumers buy the magazine more for the free stuff than the
content, and so stuff CD's full of as much as possible. 2 CD's are usual,
but 3 and sometimes 4 are mounted on the cover. They are currently (PC Plus)
giving away the whole of Lotus Smart Suite 96, 1 app at a time.

richard.dee@nospam.virgin.net               remove nospam dot
Web Site:   http://freespace.virgin.net/richard.dee/lego.html
AOL Instant Messenger: RJD88888                  ICQ 13177071
For the best Lego news, visit:    http://www.lugnet.com/news/
Need instructions for a model?       http://www.kl.net/scans/