 Off-Topic / Fun / 3734
Re: 2000 Dealer catalogue Removal Request Backfire?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun, lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Fri, 10 Dec 1999 16:33:21 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.fun, Christopher Lannan writes:
As Suzanne said[2] in another thread, "If there is any chance your data
may be a leak, obtain clearance from appropriate parties at the LEGO
Company. If it's fine with them, it's fine with me.  LUGNET plays by
their rules. period."

Just to clarify- say I get a retailers catalogue like Huw did, and I want
to share it with fellow Lugneteers. Is it okay with the T&C if I post
stating that I have it, and that they can look at it on my page, as long
as I don't actually post any of the "leaked" info on Lugnet?

Yes, I believe that would be technically OK with T&C.  However, that doesn't
necessarily mean that it would be morally right, or legally right, from TLC's
or anyone else's perspective, or that you wouldn't be an instant criticism-
magnet.  You just wouldn't be breaking any of the written lugnet.com rules
that are part of the T&C.

Note:  If you do put something like that up on your own page, you might very
well be violating your ISP's T&C, so think that all through too, obviously.

If you're truly acting responsibly, there really isn't much you can do to
get credit for leaked information.  That's why so much leaked information
in the world ends up being leaked anonymously.

can I link to it?

I don't believe that linking to it would violate any of the T&C unless
sensitive information were contained within the URL itself.  For example,
if you made a directory on your website that was named the same as some new
as-yet unannounced product line, and you posted the URL containing that
name, then you may be violating someone's rights.  That's getting pretty
nit-picky, but you get the idea.  What you do on your own site is your own
business.  Out of decency and respect for LEGO, if you do put up scans on
your own site of unannounced product lines, PLEASE don't discuss it here
even though it might not violate the T&C.

A final thing to add to what Suzanne wrote:  Note that the Terms of Use
contains the following sentence:

  "Although we hope that everyone can play well together, we must reserve
   the right to allow or to refuse access to this site to anyone, for any
   reason, with or without prior warning or explanation."

No one has ever yet been permanently denied access or posting privileges
(some for very brief periods, for various transgressions, all documented
publicly), and this is something of course that I think we as a community
should be proud of.  And I hope we never need to boot anyone.  However,
should you happen to do something significantly negative which brings the
community's or TLC's well-being into jeopardy, even if it doesn't
specifically violate any of the T&C, beware that you may find yourself being
voted upon, ushered out, or whatever the community decides, within reason,
needs to be done to stop or repair damage.  The overall integrity of the
community and the legal rights of our favorite toy company are more important
than the need to have every last possible bit of information spoonfed to
everyone the minute it is known, IMHO.

I guess what I'm saying is- was it Huw's announcement and link that breaks
the rules, or was it the actual posted list of set names that broke the
rules?

To the best of my knowledge, the list of set names & numbers (and therefore
also the announcement, since it contained the list) broke the T&C.

But that's actually not what I was all on about.  I was much more concerned
with the impact the actual scans could have, mostly in terms of how it might
cast a negative light upon AFOLs.  Now, technically, I could be a complete
jerk and kick Huw off for what he did, but I couldn't do that because I
professionally respect Huw, I like personally like Huw, and most importantly,
we all know in our hearts as a community that Huw meant no ill toward TLC.

Now that we've been through this once, though, if someone else does it next
year, the outcome might very well be different, especially if we happen to
know more by then what TLC's official position is on the leniency of scans
of unannounced product lines (I'm not holding my breath).

The T&C are there so that people have some idea about what's OK and what's
not OK to post.  They're also there so that, if, by chance, someone ever
needs to be "given the boot," there is a framework in place for the
community to work with.

(Did I answer your questions?)

--Todd

p.s.  Ahhh, I get it now:  Jasper's message earlier was in jest.  I didn't
notice until now that this subthread has migrated into .off-topic.fun.
Followups to .admin.general...