 Off-Topic / Fun / 3554
Re: Homer Simpson, Master Builder
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Tue, 23 Nov 1999 17:42:50 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.fun, Erin Windross writes:
Have you noticed that the quality of the Simpsons has really, reeaally gone
down? I mean Apu having eight children then putting them in a zoo?
Homer running away to join some crazy people at sea, then gets crushed by a
car?
I mean come on....the Simpsons quality is shortly going to be compared to the
recent Lego City sets.
Oh well...at least Futurama is putting out some good episodes.....

Erin

I'd have to disagree big time! I'd say the quality has gone up if anything--
it's just practicality and believablility that have gone out the window.. but
that's what MAKES it a quality show in my own opinion...

<Simpsons Theory>
The show started out rather weak. It was written very much to be a regular,
believeable family sitcom, and was really not all that different from any other
show, apart from being animated. It was boring. That's why it got moved
semi-quickly off the Sunday night lineup (the "best" spot for Fox)... the
ratings were dying, they thought the show was dying.

Around that time is when they started really developing the characters and
exploring the medium of animation to its fullest... They began to realize that
they could do almost ANYTHING with animation, and started introducing
goofy-esque plot lines that turned it into more of a comedy show rather than a
family sitcom. And that's what brought it back to life-- it found a niche that
it didn't occupy early on. And it started to attract a following... that of
zany humorists. The ratings began rising again, the show went back to Sunday
nights, and there it's stayed ever since!

And as for Futurama, it's more of the same style comedy, but it suddenly throws
off the restrictions of being "stuck" in the 20th century! In other words, the
unbelievability factor has been expounded to the Nth degree! But it's still a
wonderfully funny show, because the actual comedy is the same...

Hence, neither show is about believability anymore, it's about putting a smile
on your face-- some people don't like it because they don't like zany,
slapstick humor, and some people might not like it because its unbelieveable,
but that's why the Simpsons fills its own niche. There are plenty of other
sitcoms and comedies... Friends, Fraiser, Drew Carrey, etc, etc... And if
you're looking for believability, that's where to go... But there really AREN'T
that many shows with the same "brand" of comedy as the Simpsons and Futurama.
I'd say the closest one I can think of is South Park-- COMPLETELY unbelievable
episodes, but still hilarious (I think).
</Simpsons Theory>

Anyway, I'm rather surprised that someone could dislike the Simpsons and like
Futurama! In my mind they're almost identical-- it's just the plot that's
different... But I'm through theorizing... back to fun, cuz that's what this
newsgroup's all about! :)

DaveE