 Off-Topic / Fun / 2150
Re: Catalogs are indexed now too
Newsgroups:
lugnet.publish, lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Sun, 11 Jul 1999 06:32:16 GMT

Actually that problem would occur sometime around October 2068,
when that catalog is discovered in a box somewhere.  Of course
I won't be running the site then so it won't be my problem :)

Several people have commented that the catalog naming scheme is
obtuse, inadequate and confusing.  Separating the catalogs
by year seems to have eliminated the most annoying problems, but
I still think the current system is better than:

catalog-1969-Netherlands-medium_format-100dpi-01.jpg
or
catalogs/1969/medium_format/Netherlands/100dpi/...
or
catalogs/1010022322-44858382NL

I guess  you'd never believe I used to work for a y2k software
company :)

KL

Larry Pieniazek wrote:

Kevin Loch wrote:

Continuing with my current project, I have generated indexes
of all the catalog directories.

For ALL the catalogs:

http://www.kl.net/scans/catalogs

the catalog/year folders have indexes too.

Nice. However, as an IT professional, I am beholden to point out that
your catalog naming scheme will run into trouble sometime in 2071 when
the (then 2 year old) 2069 standard medium format netherlands catalog is
scanned... it will need the name c69nl which is already taken. :-)

I waive my customary fee.

And if the reader derives from this post that I think this site is
worthy of the ages and hopefully still will be around in 2069, the
reader would be right.

lugnet.