 Off-Topic / Fun / 214
  Re: what is this folow up thingy?

Mike Stanley wrote in message ... (...) That strikes me as a very typical statement for a lot of computer people. I'm still trying to decide why. Perhaps it's because computers break down so often, compared to cars. Perhaps people think they (...) (26 years ago, 27-Oct-98, to lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  Re: what is this folow up thingy?

(...) Computers don't break more often than cars. Computer owners break their computers more often than car owners break their cars. If people did things like whipping into drive from reverse, poured iced tea into their gas tank, drove with their (...) (26 years ago, 27-Oct-98, to lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  Re: what is this folow up thingy?

(...) And if I want a sunroof installed in my car, I take to a professional. I don't try to do it myself. Too bad the computer-car analogy breaks down at this point. Users are *supposed* to be able to install software themselves. Unfortunately, it (...) (26 years ago, 27-Oct-98, to lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  Re: what is this folow up thingy?

(...) Maybe it's because fixing a computer tends to be an investment in arcane abstract knowledge, rather than concrete physical knowledge. Compute repair = several hours of tweaking settings and reading doc files. Car repair = several hours of (...) (26 years ago, 27-Oct-98, to lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  Re: what is this folow up thingy?

(...) I think it still works depending on the software. Installing Lego Creator, which I did today, is like installing vanity plates, or maybe new wipers. Installing an OS or a networking package, now that is something more along the lines of (...) (26 years ago, 28-Oct-98, to lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  Re: what is this folow up thingy?

Mike Stanley <cjc@NOSPAMnewsguy.com> wrote (...) "sure I can fix it" <walks away> Or "Of course I can fix it. That's what people *PAY* me for." (warning: smart friends may understand this remark) "Hello-your-company-...oken-this- time?" (26 years ago, 28-Oct-98, to lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  Re: what is this folow up thingy?

(...) Except that installing vanity plates rarely causes a conflict with your car-stereo, and wiper blades don't usually come with upgrades to the electric system.(1) LEGO Island includes DirectX 5, and when I installed it, I could no longer use (...) (26 years ago, 28-Oct-98, to lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  Re: what is this folow up thingy?

And yet another tree building post ++Lar (26 years ago, 29-Oct-98, to lugnet.off-topic.fun)