 Off-Topic / Fun / 1268
Re: Dragonfish Submersible
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Thu, 1 Apr 1999 05:54:25 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.fun, Jeremy H. Sproat writes:
Steve Bliss wrote:
SeaQuest.  Hmm.  Which show was that?  The one from a couple of years ago,
with Darwin the Dolphin?  I'm really drawing a blank here.

Yeah, Star Trek on a Sub.  Had the guy from Jaws, also that Leonardo
DiCaprio look-alike, etc.  It lasted only two seasons, I think.  Every
episode I've seen has, well, sunk.  :-,

Cool graphics and ship models, though.  Isn't that all that matters in the
sci-fi TV market today?  Anemic plots, vapid characters, and cool special
effects.  :-P

It looked way slick but it lacked original writing and ironically depth. I
have a tendency to like submarine stuff but it never made a big enough
impression on me to want to watch consistantly.

While not intentionally trying to open a political can of worms here, some old
WW2 movies are fun to watch too, mostly just for the idea of secret sub
missions and good suspense. Maybe SeaQuest tried to steer clear of war plots
and cat-n-mouse maneuvers but they practically beg to be told every once in a
while. The ship itself, imo, is a character whose limits need to be tested in
conjunction with every one else's once in a while too.

-Tom McD.