 Off-Topic / Fun / 11356
Re: malicious behavior
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Sun, 18 Feb 2007 20:25:48 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.fun, C. L. GunningCook wrote:
   In lugnet.off-topic.fun, John Neal wrote:
   In lugnet.off-topic.fun, Allister McLaren wrote:
   In lugnet.off-topic.fun, John Neal wrote:
   In fact I know nothing about JLUG except that it was formed in order to facilitate a more adult-oriented atmosphere that wasn’t appreciated here on LUGNET. But please, correct me if I’m wrong!

:sigh: http://www.jlug.net/faq.htm

Why the sigh? It says JLUG is not for children and there are no rules. Fine.

Now this part I don’t get:

“The JLUG is a group of Lego enthusiast that are not geographically centred but certainly work together through online communication. After joking around for awhile it started making sense to have a group that could participate online. Especially for those unable to attend regular Lug meetings due to distance or other factors or for those that just can’t seem to join enough LUGs.”

I assume this joking around was ONLINE already, so I don’t quite understand why another forum was needed (unless it was a different TYPE of forum, one where smack was encouraged, no holds barred; that type of thing)

Correct me if I’m wrong.

You are wrong. I think I would know, since I wrote that, and I was the one joking around. The whole thing started as a joke in real life, because I am geographically challenged from other “local” groups. You know, friends joking... real people and in real time. Shocking I’m sure, but true.

It’s not shocking, just unclear. Not that it really matters, but these friends with whom you joked-- they aren’t AFOLs I assume, because presumabley they are the ones with whom you are geographically challenged. Perhaps you joked with nonAFOLs, “I’m so removed geographically from any LUG that I should form my own LUG-- JLUG-- “Janey LEGO User Group”. I know the FAQ says the “J” stands for “Journeyman”, but I got the impression that that was an afterthought... (Again, not that it really matters one way or the other)

I really don’t mean to mischaracterize JLUG and have never maligned it-- I’ve stated this before and I’ll state it again-- I’m really glad it exists; it needs to exist, in order to provide a LEGO forum where adults can act as they wish without worry of “frightening the children” (to coin a MP phrase). I mean, on LUGNET, one must take into consideration the fact that there could very well be a younger and less mature audience reading along. A lot of times adults want to interrelate on a mature level that is inappropriate for kids-- nothing wrong with that! And you have provided that service. I actually think JLUG compliments LUGNET and helps LUGNET be more “family friendly” by providing a mature outlet and alternative to LUGNET for AFOLs.

   Janey “Red Brick”

I put the J in JLUG... which rhymes with A, which stands for Assume.

Janey “Harold Hill”? :-)

   snipped the rest since it has nothing to do with ME!

Because it’s all about YOU, is it Janey? :-)

JOHN