 Off-Topic / Fun / 11333
Re: malicious behavior
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Fri, 16 Feb 2007 07:20:35 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.fun, Allister McLaren wrote:
   In lugnet.off-topic.fun, John Neal wrote:
   In lugnet.off-topic.fun, Allister McLaren wrote:

   Indeed. So why not internalise the whole thing and move on? The Community Policeman thing doesn’t really suit you anyway.

I think what Dave is driving at is that even though your actions may technically be with the TOS, it is a question of civility. Pushing people’s hot buttons and watching the fireworks isn’t what LUGNET is about. Lugnet is about laughing with each other, not at each other. Maybe over on JLUG it’s different and the gloves are off from the git-go and so you’d better have your dukes up or go in swinging; I don’t know. And that’s fine. But here it’s supposed to be different.

I’m not sure why you’re bringing Jlug into the discussion here. If I could set the fut to lugnet.org.jlug right now, I would.

Only because it is the only other forum which I know you use, that’s all. Really.

   But now that you have, I say you’re arguing from ignorance. There’s a far greater sense of camraderie there than I’ve ever seen here.

It wasn’t my intention to insinuate that. I was making a comparison based on tone. Style. Manner. That sort of thing.

   I’m getting quite weary of people crapping on about Jlug whenever one of it’s members post here in a manner you decide is ‘uncivil’ or at least on the border. I was a member here long before I was a member there, and I’m also a member of several other forums, but somehow the Jlug association keeps cropping up. Does my Jlug membership somehow invalidate my Lugnet one?

When I post here, I post as a member of Lugnet, nothing more.

My only point is that a JLUG “manner” if you will doesn’t always fly in LUGNET. One needs to edit oneself when posting to LUGNET; less so on JLUG. Or am I wrong? If I am, maybe you’d like to compare/contrast them for me. In any event, I wasn’t arguing from “ignorance”; did I or did I not use the term “maybe”? That was very intentional. In fact I know nothing about JLUG except that it was formed in order to facilitate a more adult-oriented atmosphere that wasn’t appreciated here on LUGNET. But please, correct me if I’m wrong!

   I say we make a new law, let’s call it Bold John’s law, similar in spirit to Godwin’s law - anyone that brings Jlug into an argument on Lugnet automatically loses.

Well, you are totally misrepresenting my reason for mentioning it. I say we call it “Bald John’s Law” which states that the baldest debater is always the winner. Bring it on, pal! C:^D

Here we try to amuse ourselves in less devisive ways. Not always successful, but that’s the goal. I believe Dave is merely trying to steer things towards civility. Nothing wrong with that.

I’m not saying he shouldn’t, but he’s made his point, and is now merely repeating it ad nauseum. But I see that sort of shenanigans is perfectly ok with you. Isn’t it great that Lugnet’s big enough for such a diverse community?

I don’t see his posts as intentionally mischievous at all. But then, I think I’ve gotten to “know” Dave over the years to know if they were.

But not with you. Not that I wouldn’t like to get to know you better, but I don’t have a good feel from where you are coming. For instance: is your last statement mocking? I can’t tell. That’s how it comes off to me, anyway. But I was wrong about your last intent. We seem to only relate under adversarial circumstances. Pity.

JOHN