 Off-Topic / Fun / 10618
  Badly Abridged

Here’s a fun little thought experiment hatched in my heat-oppressed brain. Please comment. Given a rope bridge over a chasm, assume the following: 1. The strength of the bridge cannot be determined precisely. 2. A fall from the bridge will certainly (...) (20 years ago, 18-Feb-04, to lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  Re: Badly Abridged

(...) Hmmm. I would do this: I'd first send the heaviest guy and the lightest. If the bridge collapses, at least the loss of life would be kept to a minimum:-/ If they survived, I'd send across the ones whose sum weights were the closest to the sum (...) (20 years ago, 18-Feb-04, to lugnet.off-topic.fun, FTX)

  Re: Badly Abridged

One at a time, from the lightest to the heaviest. (20 years ago, 19-Feb-04, to lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  Re: Badly Abridged

(...) Great for the lightest people, but almost certainly guaranteeing the death of the heaviest, or someone before, because of the build-up of damage. On the other hand, if you go from heaviest to lightest, it's possible that the incremental damage (...) (20 years ago, 19-Feb-04, to lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  Re: Badly Abridged

(...) I thought one of the restrictions was people had to go in "groups". JOHN (20 years ago, 19-Feb-04, to lugnet.off-topic.fun, FTX)

  Re: Badly Abridged

(...) Let's do some number-crunching, to illustrate. Let's say that the rope will take a maximum stress-load of one thousand (1,000) pounds, cumulative, before snapping. Let's futher assume we've got the following people, identified solely by their (...) (20 years ago, 19-Feb-04, to lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  Re: Badly Abridged

(...) I just checked the original message. He wrote "*A* group of people must cross the bridge" emphasis mine. That means, "we have a group of people quantity unspecified, and all of them must get across this bridge in some manner to be determined." (...) (20 years ago, 19-Feb-04, to lugnet.off-topic.fun, FTX)

  Re: Badly Abridged

(...) (URL) problems, kinda fun to figure out. Your question reminded me of game 3. (URL) (20 years ago, 6-Mar-04, to lugnet.off-topic.fun)