 Off-Topic / Fun / 10553
Re: Battlestar Galactica
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Thu, 11 Dec 2003 03:10:16 GMT

I thought it was pretty good.  In fact, it kind-of grew on me as it went on.  I
have to assume they're gonna go to series.  A lot of far weaker things have made
it. The only thing that could limit it would be cost.

Some thoughts:

I *really* liked the military tone to the thing...little things, like the
announcements made over the ship's intercom ("The 1MC"), the parts failure of
Starbuck's Viper that had to be changed out while she was on the cat, and the
decidedly "ugly" command and control spacecraft.  In a past life, I spent a good
amount of time on aircraft carriers, and these little touches are very
representitive of flight ops.

I liked the "vent the compartments to put out the fire" deal.  It always seemed
to me that putting out fires in space is a easy problem.  The classic "kill a
few to save a lot" dilemna was handled well.

I liked the addition of the President character.  It would make for good
"military vs. civilian" leadership struggles.

I liked the Baltar character.  He's the big traitor, but secretly carrying that
around with him, which also makes for interesting plot lines.

There were a couple of things that bugged me:

1.)  Too much paper.  For whatever technology era we're dealing with, it seems
like reading message traffic on tractor-feed message paper has got to be a bit
dated compared to faster-than-light travel.  Same-same with the big plexiglass
board for launch/recovery status and the manual plotting/maneuvering maps.

2.)  I think the cylons that are almost exactly like us...except at a molecular
level...might be a bit much.  I guess they wanted to make it so it was virtually
impossible to tell them apart from "us" so we didn't have to simply set up metal
detectors around the Galactica.  Obviously, it will make for lots of suspense
and good stories.  I just would have liked to see some sort of cool metal
skeleton when these things get schwacked.

A couple of things the verdict's still out on:

Starbuck:  Maybe it will work as a chick.  We'll have to see.  They'll have to
be careful not to try too hard, though.

The "Earth" thing:  I have no problem it being "only a legend."  The
introduction of that to the plot was weak, though.  It could have been written
in better.

Just my 2 cents.
-sb