 Off-Topic / Fun / 10546
Re: Battlestar Galactica
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Wed, 10 Dec 2003 19:00:43 GMT

Wayne & All,

Sooo... Has anyone seen SciFi's new "Battlestar Galactica"?

I watched the 4 hour block last night, by accident. I just got home from work
and it just started. I saw the preview show a little while back. I have to say I
enjoyed it. I kept thinking the genius doctor was Alexander Siddig (Dr. Julian
Bashir from DS9) but I saw it wasn't him this morning. My wife and I kept going
back and forth on it. : )

I actually found it much better than I expected. Even to the point where I'm
sort of hoping they greenlight a series or at least more movies. It had a
great subtlety to it - especially the space shots. I loved the way the
fighters used maneuvering thrusters to alter their trajectory. And the
little control ship that worked with the fighter squads.

Yes, I was impressed by the ships and the thrusters as well. The CG was slick,
and the space / battle shots were nifty. It somewhat reminded me of SW:EPII and
the big battle near the end, where the camera constantly shifted, and gittery to
some extent.

The Viper looked groovtastic.

Right.

And yes, I was quite a fan of the original show as well. I guess I felt like
it wasn't the train wreck everyone seem to have been making it out to be.

I'm curious what everyone thought (should I don a flame retardant suit?).

Well, I don't remember too much of the original series (I'm 28, so I am just
under the age bubble here) I saw a couple of episodes here and there, so I can't
really say too much about the changes that happened (Starbuck a woman, the
cycloids (SP), etc.)

But just as a fan of sci-fi in general, I thought it was rather interesting, and
am looking forward to seeing some more of it. I did do some reading on the old
series, some of the religious stuff, etc. this morning.

Scott S.
--
Scott E. Sanburn
http://www.scottesanburn.org