 Off-Topic / Fun / 10543
Re: Battlestar Galactica
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Wed, 10 Dec 2003 17:37:40 GMT

In lugnet.space, Wayne McCaul wrote:
Sooo... Has anyone seen SciFi's new "Battlestar Galactica"?

I actually found it much better than I expected. Even to the point where I'm
sort of hoping they greenlight a series or at least more movies. It had a great
subtlety to it - especially the space shots. I loved the way the fighters used
maneuvering thrusters to alter their trajectory. And the little control ship
that worked with the fighter squads.

   Agreed.  I watched it very eagerly.  It's not quite the original,
   but it was good on its own terms, and Edward James Olmos was really
   a pleasant surprise in the Adama role.  It was one part Galactica,
   one part "Space: Above and Beyond", and one part Terminator.

   But sorry, all the overt sexual behavior?  Eh.  And the inversion
   of the Colonel Tigh role was a bit nonplussing, though I suppose
   they had to give *someone* the really big warts.  And I still do
   like John Colicos's Baltar more than the new one.

The Viper looked groovtastic.

   Again, agreed.  But the Raptor (the little recon ship) just looked
   totally out of place with the aesthetic of the Vipers.  The concept
   was great, but man was that an ugly and mismatched craft.

   By the way, the Viper was one of the very first ships I ever tried
   to build in LEGO.

And yes, I was quite a fan of the original show as well. I guess I felt like it
wasn't the train wreck everyone seem to have been making it out to be.

   The fact that they broached the moral compromises necessary to
   save the fleet, I found very interesting; they really needed to
   have something a bit more concrete about the whole Earth thing
   (such as finding something, anything, to suggest that it wasn't
   all legend).  But in itself, I really enjoyed it.  And the CGI
   cinematography--wow.  Those were some of the best space battles
   ever shown, and I agree with you 100% on the realism issue.

   best

   LFB