 Off-Topic / Fun / 10418
10417  |  10419
Subject:
La Parrillada
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Mon, 11 Aug 2003 04:27:22 GMT

I sit here in the afterglow of what in my culture is called “la parrillada” or sometimes also “asado.” Basically, this is a barbeque -- except that we are not foolish enough to waste time on fake meats like hamburger or hotdogs, we go straight for the good stuff: thick steaks, flank steaks, short ribs, italian sausages, sweetbreads (pancreas), blood sausages, etc. If it is part of the beast it is more than likely at some time or other to end up on the grill! Further, rarely are the meats seasoned before they hit the table, nor is there really any kind of sauce that goes onto the meat while cooking. There are plenty of garnishes once one is at the table, but nothing in advance of that moment. At the table one might also have homecooked vegetables or even a rather plain salad with a light vinaigrette. If one must season the meats with other than salt and pepper, there is a mixture called “chimichurri” but a purist is likely to forego anything that distracts from that good old open-pit goodness. My own family obsession is for stuffed mushrooms -- that is, mushrooms stuffed with parsley, garlic, and butter. A little salt and pepper besides and that’s about it. Any decent sized mushrooms will do, and if you’re completely crazed you might even use portabello ‘shrooms.

So tasty!

What was odd was how long it had been since I was able to locate sweetbreads at the store. Geez, were they ever delicious! And they’re so inexpensive I was looking up other recipes to include it more regularly in my diet. Apparently the Brits have a recipe for sweetbreads and mushrooms with butter and wine -- sounds good to me!

Vegetarians just don’t understand the animal nature of we human beings. Hey, I eat the rabbit food too -- all the time. But every few weeks you can bet on finding me at the sushi bar or making a parrillada or something a little more carnivorous. Man does not live by salad alone...

A loaf of bread, a jug of wine, and -- hey, pass me the sweetbreads before we run out!

-- Hop-Frog