 Off-Topic / Debate / 9824
Re: Science and beliefs (was Re: Alien races)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 5 Apr 2001 19:44:54 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, James Simpson writes:
For centuries the "literal
truth" of The Bible stated that the Earth was the center of the Universe.
This was conclusively disproven, and The Bible (or, more accurately, the
assessment of the literal word) was proven incorrect.  The problem is that
any "correct" literal interpretation can be dismissed--after it's shown to
be false--simply by saying "Well, they didn't really interpret it
correctly."  Such a position is circular and self-fulfilling.

One nitpick(1): I might be wrong, but I'm pretty sure that the Bible never says
that the earth is the center of the universe.

  That's not a nitpick at all, and I think you're right.  My point is that
according to the then-current "literal" interpretation (and, admittedly, the
teachings of Aristotle), the Earth was the center.  Maybe my beef should be
with Aristotle, rather than Genesis!  8^)

The Bible also says elsewhere that a day to God is like a thousand years to
us. Thus, you have a six-thousand-years interpretation.  That is a reasonable
exegesis from a literal standpoint, but I prefer to take an equally reasonable
position: that these passages are metaphorical; they merely refer to the act
of creation, and not its particulars with literal accuracy.

  But that's the whole point, isn't it?  The passages *are* metaphorical
rather than literal.  The problems arise when one group starts declaring
with alleged certainty (which you are not doing, I hasten to assert!) that
one passage is literal-as-written and another passage is
literal-as-interpreted (an oxymoron?).

(1) A number of Biblical straw-men have become persistent targets of attack by
critics; these stories are merely a wild mis-reading and mis-interpretation of
scripture.  For example: The old tired idea that God cursed Ham with
"blackness", and thus black people are inferior.  In fact, all the Bible says
about the Ham incident is that Noah cursed his son Ham, and thus, Ham was
"marked." Marked.  That's all. The inference that it is a reference to race is
non-sequiter.  There is so little to go by, why even speculate?

  Yeah, there are some hairs better left un-split!

     Dave!