 Off-Topic / Debate / 9794
Re: Geology from Outer Space
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 4 Apr 2001 19:44:45 GMT

To actually answer your question is we futz about with things until we have
reasonable confidence they work.  :-)

Oh, so it's just like computer programming!  :-,

Here's an example of establishing part of a time frame through polar
reversal and sea-floor spreading.  [...]

Got it, thanks for the example.

My advice would be to look into it in an encyclopedia - the whole subject
exceeds my knowledge to explain it adequately.

I've done this, at least with World Book (I read this thoroughly when I was
youger :-) and Encarta (blech) and a couple of other brands.  They just
kinda gloss over the details and hem and haw until you hit the next entry
and realize that there was nothing there.  I haven't tried Britannica lately
tho...  Do you have a recommendation, a personal fave?

Is the sun 3 billion years
old or 5 billion?  Studing similiar stars and their progression through age.
Calculated rate of consumption of fusionable materials.

The "stellar age" part I have some serious exception with, in that we simply
haven't been around long enough to verify that this is how stars age.  At
best we've seen births and deaths in novae, and observed how stars up to so
many billions of light-years away look.  It's hard for me to believe that we
have such a solid grasp of astrophysics and relativity and space-time from
such a *tiny* observation point.  To some extent, these theories can be
verified with what we know of nuclear principles, but then quantum theory
begins to poke holes into our understanding of *that*.

There are so many questions in this equation, that I'm surprised more people
are not questioning some of the principles that lead us to it.  At least,
there should be more acceptance of the possibility that *some* form of
metaphysics helps govern the universe.

Anyway, there's my straw man for the day.  I'm not even sure my soccer
cleats left any marks on it.  :-,

I've barely scratched the surface and see how much I've written.  Woof.

The effort is appreciated, tho.  :-,

Cheers,
- jsproat