 Off-Topic / Debate / 9757
Re: Alien races
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 3 Apr 2001 17:52:50 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Ryan Farrington writes:

I believe the earth to be young, about six to ten thousand years old.  There
have been many scientists who have examined the fossil record and found it
to fit just as well in the context of a young earth as in an old one.  Also,
there are numerous indirect evidences for a young earth, such as the buildup
of salt in the oceans.  If the earth was extremely old, the seas might be
filled with salt!  But anyway, about 6,000 to 10,000 years old.

Ryan, I mean no disrespect to your beliefs, but you are in error regarding
the age of the earth. This is not a spiritual matter and certainly not an
issue of the many creation stories of various cultures. If your faith or
personal spiritual well being requires you to believe that the earth is six
to ten thousand years old, then I praise you for your honesty and devotion.
However, it doesn't change the simple FACT that the earth is in no way even
remotely that young.

There are conclusive, objective scientific studies, spanning several decades
of research and experiments, that conclude that the earth is roughly 4.3
billion years old. These results do not serve to debunk religion or question
the existence of a creator, but more over to establish a factual timeline of
the earth's geological and biological history. This timeline helps
scientists to compare, date and record fossil evidence of plant and animal
life that once flourished eons ago and accordance with geological events
such as volcano eruptions, meteor collisions, shifts in the earth's crust
and upper mantle and so on. To argue that the earth is only ten thousand
years old is illogical considering the breadth and depth of fossil and
stellar evidence that speaks strongly to the contrary.

Dan