 Off-Topic / Debate / 9730
Re: Does God have a name for God?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 2 Apr 2001 19:16:53 GMT

On Mon, 2 Apr 2001 17:10:14 GMT, "Sproaticus" <jsproat@io.com> wrote:

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Jeremy H. Sproat writes:
In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Ryan Farrington writes:
I ALSO AM A SINNER.  I AM INHERENTLY EVIL.  Only God is perfect and sinless.
Just a nit to pick:  wouldn't being a sinner imply that you have some
capacity for good?  IOW, unless EVERY act and thought you commit is a sin,
then you have some amount of good, right?  How could something inherently
evil have good in it?
If we're splitting hairs, couldn't something inherently (ie: predisposed
to) evil still make the moral choice not to commit evil?

Hmmm.  Good point.  Which raises the question:  is a thing evil by nature or
by action?

Another thing here is competency.  I mean take Hitler for example, was
he evil?  Maybe, maybe not.  I would call Hitler evil he mercilessly
had 6 million Jewish people slaughtered not because he actually
thought they were the bane of the arian race, but because he was just,
well, evil.  I'd say true evil is being consciously aware of your
actions and knowing that beyond a shadow of a doubt you are doing
something that is wrong.  By wrong I mean you use manipulation in
order to cause the event.  You see, when you really get down to it
Hitler was probably just insane, not truly evil at all.  In fact I'd
even go so far as to say that all in all we have not really had that
many truly evil people on the planet.  If we did, the planet probably
wouldn't be here.

Robert