 Off-Topic / Debate / 9681
Re: Does God have a name for God?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 30 Jan 2001 16:37:38 GMT

On Fri, 30 Mar 2001 16:35:21 GMT, "Bruce Schlickbernd"
<corsair@schlickbernd.org> wrote:

I dunno,
maybe I need to invest in some kind of "The Bible For Dummy's" or
something.

Actually, that isn't a bad idea!  :-)  (I mean, that there should be such a
"Dummies" book)

Yeah but then you'd have to have one for everyone's unique
interpretation and then it'd just get confusing and messy.

Man is sinful and will always kill and
destroy until he is no longer sinful.  But man cannot become non-sinful by
himself.

Is it a sin to think about killing and destruction?

If you are Catholic.

Hmmm....no I don't think I'm Catholic today...maybe tomorrow I will be
though, we'll see.

Genesis 6:5--"Then the Lord saw that the wickedness of man was
great on the earth, and that every intent of the thoughts of his heart was
only evil continually."

If God wrote the bible why does he refer to himself in the third
person so much?     o_O

Divinely inspired by God.  When quoting the Bible in term papers (biblical
scenes being popular in many periods of art), I'd always list the author as
"various, with the assistance of a Holy Ghost Writer".  :-)

LOL, now that's funny.

Robert: "Isn't it amazing that in this day and age the absolute "truth"
about existence can be found on a poorly engineered web site on the Inet
that also includes fascinating reading material on HAM radio, paper
airplanes, music, and Lego's of all things.  Why if only I had known about
this site earlier in my life.  One can only wonder why the
"truth" isn't being advertised all over mainstream media this very second."

The truth can also be found in the Bible, not merely on my website.

Probably, but then we wouldn't get to read your insightful
interpretations of it, now would we?

If it bothers you, don't read it.

Why are you telling me this?

I don't see what's wrong with expressing
oneself on their own website.

I don't either...when exactly was that an issue?

The
reason the truth isn't being broadcast all across the media is because man
is sinful, he can't face a just and holy God who can't tolerate sin.

Then why the Bible in the first place?  Clearly *some* people can (face a
just and holy God who can't tolerate sin).  Some don't even really need the
Bible (or other religious tracts) to do that.  Some do.

Ahhh...following up to more than one person in a response is confusing
and it makes my head hurt...    o_O

Oh I bet if there was absolute proof they sure could.  I mean I would
certainly believe in God, if I knew for certain that he existed...but
then I don't presume to know that when I don't even know if I actually
exist.

Cogito, ergo sum.

Okay, okay, all the Latin is just getting annoying now.

Therefore, mankind, in pride, also exalts himself, ignoring God and the
truth.

And so you're like what, the only non-sinner, righteous, d00d on the
planet?

There are many different levels of pride, some destructive, some
constructive.  Wisdom is telling the difference (that's a comment aimed at
both of you).

Maybe wisdom is not being able to tell the difference.  Perhaps you're
wrong, ever think about that?

Robert: "Um, I'm just wondering, do you have some sort of direct hot line
with God, or is this what Cleo and the magic seeing crystal you bought in
the mall are telling you?  I'm just sorta curios as to why YOU in particular
seem to have ALL the answers and have it ALL figured out as well.  Of course
then the last guy that I responded to seemed to believe he as speaking the
almighty "truth" of the universe as well...hmmm...is anyone besides me
seeing a trend here?

I do have a "hot-line" to God through prayer (me --> God) and the Bible
(God --> me).  I believe that the Bible, the Word of God, is the truth, and
that what God says is Absolute Truth.   (The existence of absolute truth is
vehemently ignored in the world today.)

Because experience shows us that what we thought was the Absolute Truth
today, isn't tomorrow.  That which the religious pundits have claimed to be
the absolute truth often demonstrable isn't (everything revolves around the
earth, for example).  Nor can religions founded on the Bible agree on what
the Absolute Truth is, much less other non-Bible based religions.  Claiming
you have the Absolute Truth seems to me a matter of pride.

Ahhh....you did it again!  My poor head...

So how does that work?  I mean do you just look up at the sky, ask God
a question, then randomly flip to a page in the bible and start your
interpretation, or do you have some other method?

I rather imagine the fundamentalists here consider me not particularly on
their side (okay, almost always against them), so I hope you understand when
I start to feel sorry for them, you may be getting unnecessisarily personal.

Bruce

Oh probably, but I feel it helps them to fight their side more
passionately, and thus I gain more insight into why they believe what
they believe...that is the point you realize.  : )

Robert