 Off-Topic / Debate / 9647
  Re: Does God have a name for God?

(...) Not to get off topic...oh wait we already are, never mind. Does the world actually turn around in a straight circle? I mean I know it sorta wobbles and what not and that's how we get the seasons, but is it how the earth is rotating that is (...) (23 years ago, 30-Jan-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Straight Roundness (was Re: Does God have a name for God?)

(...) But when it wobbles would the axis change? I guess the easiest way to test the theory would be to draw a bright red line along the equator of a globe and give the ol girl a good spin and then see if the line stays the same or blurs whilst it's (...) (23 years ago, 30-Jan-01, to lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  Re: Does God have a name for God?

(...) Yes, that we have established, the "wobble" causes the seasons, not the other way 'round (pardon the pun), otherwise we'd have like an instance of Post Hoc, Ergo, Propter Hoc....oooOOO....now that'd make for an interesting debate. He, he, (...) (23 years ago, 30-Jan-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Straight Roundness (was Re: Does God have a name for God?)

(...) I'd much rather ponder what a "straight circle" is. A gyroscope undergoes precession, in that its axis of rotation "wobbles," but the rotation itself, relative to that axis, is pretty fixed, I think. Dave! (23 years ago, 30-Mar-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Straight Roundness (was Re: Does God have a name for God?)

(...) Hmm. I guess it depends on how rigid the spinning object is, and what you're using as a standard of comparison. If there's no actual axis, but a "net" axis, the rotation might change. Intesting. Dave! (23 years ago, 30-Mar-01, to lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  Re: Does God have a name for God?

(...) The "wobble" is not the cause of the seasons, rather it is the angle of the rotational axis relative to the sun during the period the earth revolves about the sun. Bruce (23 years ago, 30-Mar-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Does God have a name for God?

(...) (URL) ya go... Bruce (23 years ago, 30-Mar-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)