 Off-Topic / Debate / 9625
Re: Does God have a name for God?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 30 Mar 2001 05:17:30 GMT

In lugnet.general, Bruce Schlickbernd writes:

Does God have a name for God? follow up in off-topic.debate if you dare...

First of all, I don't know if I am supposed to take this discussion only to
off-topic.debate or also have it cross-posted to general.  If someone knows
better, let me know.

As soon as the discussion loses its LEGO nature, go to off-topic I think.

God existed first, before anything else.  He created all things, including
man, whom He created in His own image.  Man, being sinful, created gods in
his own image. (see http://home.ifriendly.com/~fourfarrs/truth.htm and
http://home.ifriendly.com/~fourfarrs/truthfaq.htm)  So God did not steal the
term.

God _does_ have a name for God.

Or at least the three main narrative threads in the Pentateuch have three
different names for God, that reflect different understandings of God. Does
rendering the Hebrew YHWH as Jehovah change the name?

"There is no god but Allah."  Same God, by the way.  Anyway, the question is
whether God has a name for God, not whether we have a name for God.  I
suppose if God invented Aramaic or Arabic, that could be debated (scratching
head and pondering chicken or egg arguments).

My knowledge of Islam is very limited, but I think it considers the original
Arabic Koran, as written by the true Prophet himself, to be an original and
perpetual aspect of Allah. On the other hand, there's historical and linguistic
evidence that this name for God was used _before_ Mahomed wrote the Koran (cf
its similarity to Elohim).

--DaveL