 Off-Topic / Debate / 9390
Re: Evolution in Kansas
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 15 Feb 2001 17:55:55 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Arnold Staniczek writes:
This might be of interest:

Kansas Puts Evolution Back Into Public Schools
http://www.nytimes.com/2001/02/15/national/15KANS.html

Heard about that on CNN yesterday morning. A great FACT in this situation is
that every culture and society has a myth, legend or story of creation.
Whether it is Adam and Eve or the native American's Great Spirit or the gods
of Olympus, humans have different stories to explain things they did not
understand. Each story also serves the purpose of explaining man's place and
purpose in this world.

However, another FACT remains that countless living things existed, thrived
and vanished long before there were people. And the another FACT remains
that biological adaptation is a reality...just look at the flu virus or
strep-C. Just look at genetically altered crops. So, I put more faith in
science for the FACTS of our existence. I think religion can offer us the
TRUTHS of our existence and gives us valuable lessons on how to live with
each other in peace.

I truly don't believe that Eve was made from Adam's rib or that Zeus cast
down thunderbolts when he was ticked off. I think these things never
happened but DO serve a noble purpose to keep people humble and respectful
of the wonder of life. So, I think the folks in Kansas are taking a step in
the right direction to teach evolution in public schools. It doesn't
invalidate the Bible's stories so long as the religious folks concede that
these teachings serve a moral and ethical purpose, not scientific fact.

Dan