 Off-Topic / Debate / 8962
By Request: The Bible--Literal or not?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 23 Jan 2001 21:55:10 GMT

Jon Kozan writes:

Do you in fact interpret the Bible literally?  All of it?  So we *are*
mustard seeds in fact and not in metaphor?  What about the contradictions;
do you interpret those literally, too?

If you want a debate on Biblical meanings and literal interpretations, perhaps
another thread would be appropriate.  Here I'm working from the question of
Genesis, evolution and origins.

and, from another thread:

The literal interpretation says that God is the creator.

  True, but that's not *all* that the literal interpretation states.  In
addition, you're allowing the possibility for debate about the literal
interpretation, which implies if not relativism at least a potential
disparity of views re: literalism. Once again, we come back to the question
of who gets to decide what the literal truth is.
  Further, I'm sure you know that the current version of the Bible (which I
imagine you are reading--if not, please correct me) is an edited and sifted
translation of a translation of an interpretation of the supposed Word.
Therefore, to speak of understanding the literal interpretation is
problematic in the first place, since you don't have access to the original
text.  Further, you don't (I expect) read Koine Greek or Aramaic, so your
understanding of the written text would be at least one step removed anyway.
  Having stated that, do you imply that the only literal message within the
Bible is that God is the creator?  If so, then how can you claim that any
interpretation of the rest of the text is better or more correct than any
other?  If not, then you are asserting that we are literally mustard seeds.
  Please elucidate; you've several times called for clear definitions, and I
thank you for providing yours.  However, without knowing exactly how
literally you take the Bible, or on what basis you choose to take certain
parts literally, I cannot attempt to understand your position.

   Dave!