 Off-Topic / Debate / 8908
Re: Problems with science and metaphysics
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 23 Jan 2001 14:34:16 GMT

I agree that religion isn't necessarily wrong - though it would seem the
conflicting claims of the religions, not to mention the sects within the
religions would indicate that somebody *is* wrong somewhere!

I perfectly agree, as was my point, I think-- it's not NECESSARILY wrong,
but I *think* it's wrong based on what I've seen...

But then again, maybe every one of them is right (except for those claiming
everybody else is wrong).  :-)

Anyway, you are speaking on a hypothetical basis, and this involves
something else than what I was dealing with, and requires a different
approach on my part (dunno what it is, or even if I have an argument with
you at this level).

That's kinda what I thought might be happening-- I.E. I'm taking the
absolutest of theoretical arguments, which, I think, are worth considering,
although they may not be actual use. That is to say, what if we looked on
this theoretical level and found out that religion WAS necessarily wrong?
Then we'd have gotten somewhere. But sadly (for my argument's sake) I don't
think anyone can 'prove' that the physical really DOES take precedence
necessarily over the metaphysical; or simply put, that the metaphysical is
variable enough to warrant lack of faith in its conclusions.

Can't say that I'm any great shakes at mathematical theory, but it is viewed
as something that would be universal with any advanced society.

Exactly. It's universal because it's defined that way. We (humans) defined
it with very specific rules, so as a result, it's universal, because it's
clearly defined. The universe, on the other hand, we DIDN'T invent, so we
kinda have to go figure out what we think the rules are... different realms,
I think...

Huh... so we actually reached an agreement other than to simply disagree--
who'da thunk it? :) Now if only I can do the same with a couple other people :)

DaveE