 Off-Topic / Debate / 8866
Re: Problems with Christianity and Darwinism
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 22 Jan 2001 05:29:25 GMT

Bruce, you have a valid point in the larger context. I just think it's OK to
quote fictional characters if there's merit in the thoughts of the author
behind them. That's all. And I think it's OK to quote voices in your head
too, but I digress.

He is misapplying the quote in the manner of a sophist, and as you point out
has certainly not covered all the applicable bases.

I think Jon's all wet in a lot of different ways but I wouldn't take him to
task for this particular canard. It's a target rich environment, after all,
why plink at sparrows when he's got plenty of albatrosses to shoot down?

Just MHO of course.

Gotta disagree.  Of course, if you don't think he is trying to establish the
link I'm claiming he is, I understand your position.

No, he probably is trying to do just that. But he isn't going to succeed for
two reasons.

One, Jon's not going to be able to prove evolution impossible. I went to the
ref given, it's slickly written but befuddled, the sort of thing uncritical
thinkers would consider convincing... and should be easy pickings if someone
wanted to try to exhaustively refute. I don't have time but I think Dave L
is going to make short work of it, shortly. He said he would, anyway.

Two, Jon hasn't exhaustively enumerated the possibilities. It's not an
either-or.

And three, cosmology and evolution are different topics. I'm OK with the
origin of the universe being unexplainable, as I said. An explanation is not
necessary to make meaningful predictions.

Did I say two reasons?? No one expects the Spanish Inquisition! Three reasons.

Oh, and four, if he faults cosmology for not discussing the origin of the
universe, he's hoist by his own petard as he hasn't explained the origin of
his god (if he gets to say "timeless and forever existing" for god, so do I
for the universe, and I have Occam's Razor on my side to boot)

Did I say three reasons? No one expects the Spanish Inquisition! Four reasons.

++Lar